Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lets Get Acquainted

Lust. I've been asked to write a regular column about sports - but instead I choose to write about lust. It’s the siren's song of lust that calls you to do more with your life, to see things and do things. It’s Lust that asks you to test yourself and prove that you’re alive..... Lusting to be more than what you are.... It is from this place that I feel that I am qualified to write a regular column. Lets get acquainted – I’m Dave. I’m 44. I am very active, I bike; hike; run, snowboard, kayak, ride a motorcycle, am a budding guitarist and yoga instructor in training. In the past few years, I’ve spent time in an Alaskan rainforest, hiked (some of) the Appalachian trail, celebrated in Mexico City along side of Robert Redford in the winners circle of a auto race, hunted duck in Texas, attended Bull Riding championships in Vegas, braved the wilds of NAPA valley (yes, its sport!), chopped up more than one TPC golf course and sailed in Annapolis. It’s more accurate to say that I’m athletic than it is to say I’m an athlete. There never seems to be enough time to become ‘good’ at any one thing, but my interests are many. I have a full time job, a household to keep up and volunteer my time at a local charity. It’s important to understand, that I am a solidly average guy. I am not the guy that wins the race, but I show up every time. I have had successes and failures. I’ve reached some goals (ask me about my Gold Medal from the fitness challenge) and fallen miserably short on others(ask me about my Appalachian Trail hiking trip)… and sometimes have just fallen (ask me about my collar bone..) . I am constantly faced with the real issue of getting older and having the activities that I find interesting slowly slipping away from my physical abilities. The philosophy of it all is geared towards staying involved with life. The activity or performance is secondary to the experience. It’s important for me to have something on the schedule to look forward to, and of course to enjoy life in the process. Setting goals and working towards them is valuable. I push and learn about myself in the process. This is the lust I referred to earlier. Upcoming ‘experiences’ include a variety of adrenaline, scenic outings, self exploration and goals. There are a couple of kayak trips in the works to the Chesapeake bay, a late summer motorcycle trip to Deals Gap, NC to ride 318 curves in an 11 mile stretch (affectionately called ‘The Dragon’), A trip to the Ashram and Retreat Center at Yogaville, Buckingham, Virginia, And the elusive golf goal of breaking 100. The real glory is the stories that I get to share. These stories will chronicle my activities, but more importantly will focus on the places I go and the people that experience them with me. I will offer a real life perspective, covering the true fears of facing a challenge, the exhilaration that comes with accomplishing a goal that was beyond my own belief, and yes, sometimes the agony of defeat. With this column, you get to hear them all and who knows; maybe we can even generate some lust in you as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are both inspirational and motivational. Good luck with your column. Here's to pushing the envelope!