Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring Training

There are occasions when my work schedule precludes my activity schedule. And even then, I still try to find some time for the things that I love the most. That was the case for a recent two week trip to Orlando. I was there for a conference… outside of Universal Studios.. . I have to make note that Orlando is not really Florida at all.. more than an hour in any direction to get to a beach, and cold at night. Orlando really is more Disney than stereotypical Florida. I personally cannot find the attraction outside of the Disney/Epcot/Universal/Marine World … which is just not my thing. The one true positive for me was that Spring had clearly sprung in Orlando where the temperatures reached the low 70’s during the days and that was a clear delight compared to the 30’s and 40’s that were hitting back here in Fredericksburg. I did enjoy a couple of short runs through the hotels and strip malls. Anyhow, business occupied most of my time. My conference was scheduled tightly 6a – 9p and held in a hotel that was large enough that you would really have to make an effort to find the outside world. However, with a little planning and some luck, in the second week I was however able to get out to a Spring Training Game. My attendance at the game was earned by the fact that a fellow captive had tickets… and I had a car. We stole away late one afternoon feeling somehow justified in our disappearance from the conference in that with drive time, we would only catch a portion of the game. It seemed like a fair trade. Apart from the many cliché’s regarding baseball in the spring and smell of the air and almost religious experience of being at a ball field…. My companions and I couldn’t help discussing the seemingly young age of the players on the field which led to multiple stories of ourselves as kids either playing little league or attending major league games. More than anything, I found the concept of “spring training” to be very unique. Although, there was a scoreboard this game was not about keeping score. Although die hard fans were noting every minor event to use as proof that their team was going to go all the way to the World Series based on this outing. But the players were there to shake off the rust left from a winter of lethargy. There was nothing to prove… no stats that counted …. I began to think… couldn’t we all use this time as ‘Spring Training’? A time to dust off the self that slows down during winter and push just a little to see which of our skills have survived for another season of play? How nice would it be to get outside without the pressure of competition…. Or approach your job with the thought of making something new happen…. At home you could change an old pattern… In your relationship…. Try something new…. For me Its time to get out the mountain bike…. If you see me, feel free to pass me and remind yourself that Im just shaking the dust off.

No comments: